05 January 2010

My Resolutions (and more on goal setting)


It was brought to my attention that I did not commit publicly to my goals. I did that on purpose because I have tried to keep this blog fairly non-personal. Upon further consideration though I have decided to go ahead and publish my goals.
This month I am focusing on eating healthy and exercise. Specifically 1470-1800 calories per day (which is subdivided into carbs, fat and protein allotments) and 3 days a week of cardio and 3 days of strength training. I am using SparkPeople (and their awesome App) to keep track. The goal is to lose 3lbs per month for the next 6 months.
I am also going to have meaningful prayer every morning immediately after I wake up and just before bed. Additionally I will read scriptures every day after work for at least ten minutes. For the prayer and scriptures I am using a trigger method (see last post and this article).

My other goals include:
Paint a picture
Learn about horses and rodeos
Write a novel
Scrapbook 1/2 my life
Start the 52 photo project
Be able to swim 2 miles (perhaps in a Spudman)
Travel-Visit Vancouver and Mexico
I know that most of those are vague and do not meet the SMART criteria for goal setting (if you haven't heard about Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely goal criteria you should check out the article). But I have decided to plan for each as the month comes up. This keeps it all manageable.
I also know that I am cheating by adding habits on top of my weight loss goal. I rationalize this because both are really things I have been doing I am just trying to routinize them, make them firm.
So now I have committed publicly...well as publicly as this blogs readership of 3 can be!



No comments: