15 April 2010

Coach

i started to coach youth sports two years ago. I have coached soccer (indoor and outdoor), basketball and t-ball. It is a fun way for me to be involved with the community. Plus I think learning how to control twelve 4-5 year olds for an hour is a great exercise in patience. With my job it can sometimes be difficult to squeeze it all in. I am not a very technical coach but I am very enthusiastic.
Sometimes after a long practice or game i am left wondering what I was thinking signing up to be a coach. The kids run circles around me and i struggle to teach them just one thing about the sport.
Today's t-ball game was a prime example. Most of the kids spent more time kicking up dirt then paying attention and a few kept fighting over the ball. Completely spent, I was relieved when it was all over. The kids were all running off with their parents and I was stuffing helmets and bats into my bag. Then one of my cutest, sweetest little 4 year old girls ran up to me. I looked at her expecting that she had lost something. But instead she threw her arms around me and gave me the cutest little hug. When I pulled away too quickly she lifted her head and gave me a little kiss before running back to her parents.

Suddenly I remembered why I coach.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That's so cute. :) What a great example of how we are supposed to be! :)

This post reminded me of when we coached Kiwanis soccer...remember that? It was so much fun! :) I have pictures of it somewhere...I should try to find them and send you copies. :) We've had a bunch of good times Hojomo! :)

Hollijo said...

Ya I remember Kiwanis soccer. That really was fun. If you find the pictures I would love to get copies!!