12 April 2011

The Book Project

Mr. Darcy when speaking about what it means to be an accomplished woman
said: "to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the
improvement of her mind by extensive reading". I believe he is right and so
I have decided to embark on a reading project.

I don't want to read just anything. I want the books I read to inspire and
teach me.

At first I was going to use one of those "100 Greatest" book lists. I
Google-ed and researched and finally picked the Top 100 list by Harvard Book
Store. Touted as "books that moved us, that changed the way we think about
the world, and that we will happily read over and over again". It sounds
like a great collection of wonderful books. Then I realized that
just blindly reading through a list (even a really good list) was the
epitome of mindlessness.
I have been making book lists for years. I have 80 books saved in my Amazon
wishlist. I have a fantastic list from my high school English teacher that I
have been working on for 8 years (yikes I am old!). I have 37 titles left
in the Hugo/Nebula award winners list. Add to all that the various book
recommendations I have received over the years and I have more than enough
books to keep me reading for a years.
So here are the rules:

1-Variety must be maintained! I can't read two simliar books in a row i.e.
two novels, two sci-fi.

2-I will not force myself to read the book if I hate it. But I must read at
least 25% of the book before I can stop reading.

3-The goal is to read a book every 2 weeks. Faster is better but slow and
steady can win the race.

4- Upon finishing (or not finishing) each book I will write a review on this
blog. This way I can synthesize the information learned and maybe help
others to find some good reads.

With that here we go:
First book: "The Next Decade: Where We've Been . . . and Where We're Going "
By George Friedman

No comments: